Article by Mita Mistry 08.02.16
What does it meant to have an amazing life? Is it the dream job, the perfect partner or the beautiful dream home? Surely it is a combination of some of this but ultimately it is down to good health. Health really is wealth, without it we will fail to experience the special moments that touch our souls and make life the amazing journey that it can be. You can have this in 2016 by following these healthy habits to heal your life and be a better healthier version of you.
1. Mindfulness. Try and practice mindfulness daily, just 10 minutes a day can have a huge impact on your wellbeing giving you a positive outlook. Life is much brighter when we are smiling and at peace and living from moment to moment rather than being stuck in fear or anger. Getting stuck in such negative emotions is the biggest stumbling block to experiencing good health and vitality.
2. Practice acts of kindness, they are a super power for your brain and mood. Research shows that your brain releases endorphins, your own natural feel good, happy pills. These chemicals relax your nervous system helping you to feel less anxious, stressed or low. The warmth you experience when being kind is the release of the “emotional bonding” hormone called oxytocin, this dilates your blood vessels lowering your blood pressure. Kindness doesn’t have to be massive gestures; the smallest acts can energise you and bring happiness to others. If you are blessed to have parents or grandparents, make it a priority to see them life is never that busy to show gratitude to them.
3. Keep growing. You know all those things you’ve always wanted to do? Go and do them. Dream big, explore new territory and don’t be afraid to take a leap of faith and follow your heart’s calling. When we are stuck in unhappy situations, jobs or relationships stress will be in abundance and you will get ill. Get rid of anything that does not serve you and be true to yourself.
4. Visit an acupuncturist who will treat you for existing conditions and also provide you with preventative care to boost your wellbeing and immunity. You will also get holistic lifestyle recommendations to bring you more peace and balance. Its very relaxing and worth investing in your health. You will learn how to tune into and listen to the wisdom of your body. If you are worried about needles, let me assure you they are incredibly fine and there are other ways to access your energy if you are really needle phobic.
5. Start your day with a glass of warm water and a slice of lemon. Do not underestimate the power of this simple action that originates in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It has many health benefits ranging from treating constipation, aiding weight loss to boosting immunity and clear skin. Ideally use the juice of half a lemon and water at room temperature as cold water can extinguish your digestive fire.
6. Exercise for at least 20 minutes a day 3-4 times a week. Take up walking, dancing or a new sport. Do anything that gets your body moving that you really enjoy.
7. Bend over properly. Back pain is the most common cause for time off work in the UK. Your back deserves a lot of respect as it holds you upright and enables mobility. Avoid injury by being mindful when lifting things. Bend your knees, keep your back straight and lift with your legs.
8. Breathe from your stomach not your chest. Most people do not breathe properly, taking short rapid breaths from their chest. Breathing from the diaphragm uses less energy and maximises oxygen intake while relaxing the body and mind. In Chinese Medicine breathing in this way is known to access a deep reservoir of energy that is the gate to our inner strength therefore reducing anxiety and maintaining balance.
9. Clean up your diet literally. Small tweaks like cutting out sugar and refined processed foods for wholesome natural food will have a massive impact on your overall health and vitality. Try and eat breakfast and small meals regularly to avoid spikes in blood sugar levels that cause pesky cravings.
10. Get at least six hours sleep. Add more years to your life by getting good quality sleep. It is one of the most important functions for our body to regulate and heal cells.
For more information on Acupuncture or Mindfulness go here…
or for regular health and wellbeing tips follow Mita on